Our friends at the Independent Institute have created a powerful personalized government cost calculator at MyGovCost.org.
This online software determines what government will cost you for the rest of your life, and also what you could have earned if you had invested that money instead.
We wanted to find out what government costs the "average" person. The results are on our blog. It's a shocking number . . .
The difference between what the government will cost the average person, and what he or she could have earned in the private market with that money, is over $500,000.
Will government cost you more or less than the average? To find out . . .
1. Go to http://www.mygovcost.org
2. Find out what government costs you, and how much you could have earned instead
You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .
You should do more than cut spending to keep deficits under control. To truly restore prosperity, you must cut the size, scope, and power of the federal government.
Government spending requires taxes and borrowing. This means I have less money to save and invest, and businesses have less capital with which to grow.
In fact, a person of median education, age, and income would earn $500,000 if his or her taxes were instead invested in private markets. http://www.downsizedc.org/blog/what-will-government-cost-the-average-person
What is government doing that is worth $500,000 of lost income?
* Social Security offers a poor return on my forced contributions
* Federal health and education spending have driven up costs 2-3 times the inflation rate over the past 50 years
* Wars, foreign aid, and troops stationed in 100+ countries seem to build anti-American resentment and make us LESS safe
* Most federal departments serve special interests or duplicate the work the Tenth Amendment leaves to the states and the people
You would serve me best by cutting spending and taxes. Nothing else you could do for me remotely compares in value, and in fact, the more you spend the more you cause me harm. Please stop harming me. Cut spending and taxes now!
And we encourage you to tell your friends about MyGovCost.org. http://www.mygovcost.org
Assistant Communications Director