Local cops are often carjackers — aided and abetted by the federal "government."
If you want to stop them, tell Congress via DownsizeDC.org's "End Asset Forfeiture" Campaign.
The hardwired message says ...
Civil asset forfeiture programs violate several provisions of the Bill of Rights. Introduce legislation to abolish civil asset forfeiture.
You may borrow from or copy these additional sample comments ...
Asset forfeiture allows police to seize and KEEP the property of innocent people, without bringing criminal charges.
The people the cops victimize in this fashion must instead prove their own innocence in order to get their property back.
This turns the legal process on its head, making it an aid to “government” criminality rather than a protection for the innocent.
This evil is then compounded by a system that takes too long and costs too much.
YOU, as a member of Congress, are responsible for all of this!
* You fund local police by the billions each year
* And your "equitable sharing" program allows local agencies to keep most of what they steal whenever they’re assisting the so-called Justice Department
Civil asset forfeiture became law over 40 years ago as part of the failed and insane "War on Drugs." But it doesn't even deter the drug trade.
* Seizures from ACTUAL drug couriers are a small expense for the drug lords
* Police also have an incentive to ALLOW drug deals to be made so they can seize more money afterward
That's because the wealth they steal....
* helps fund their departments
* often pays for their bonuses
As a result, cops become carjackers. Here are some of those thefts, as reported by Sarah Stillman (http://shar.es/zt84Y):
* Police stole a woman’s car because she loaned it to her son, who was carrying a handgun
* Police stole $28,500 in church offerings
* Police stole FORTY cars in one night at an art gallery event. An outdated Detroit "speakeasy" law was the excuse
Of course, the police also steal houses and other valuables. In Philadelphia, the police steal 100 houses each year.
If you do NOT think asset forfeiture is a crime, then you don't know what "law" is. In addition, your continued support makes you guilty of aiding and abetting the commission of these crimes.
If you support asset forfeiture, then you should be fired from Congress. And, personally, I wouldn't hire you for any other job. How can you trust someone who believes in stealing?
Stop doing criminal things. I deny consent to this wanton immorality. Take immediate action to end this outrage.
— END SAMPLE LETTER —
You will receive a copy of your letter to Congress via email. Please share your letter with friends and ask them to take the same action.
And if you like having the Educate the Powerful tool, please consider starting a monthly pledge. We have pledgers ranging from $1 to $250 each month, with an average of $14. If we averaged one dollar, per month, per subscriber, our operations would be fully funded.