Quote of the Day: “Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.” -- Charles Mackay, "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"
Here's how we'll spend the rest of 2010 . . .
* We'll change how we operate. Read our upcoming Dispatches to learn the details.
* We'll exert pressure to prevent the lame-duck Congress from passing bad bills before they leave office.
* We'll make the recent election meaningful . . . after the fact.
Any real change that actually results from the recent election will depend on people like you.
OK, it's important to recognize that the bi-annual silly season is finally over. This means that NO more changes can be made using the electoral process for another two years. So the ONLY POWER you have for the next 24-months is the power WE GIVE YOU here at DownsizeDC.org.
We empower you to pressure ALL of your elected representatives using just a few keyboard strokes and mouse-clicks.
It bears repeating -- This is your ONLY available method for causing change over the next two years!
And please take note . . .
* We urge anyone who thinks "writing Congress doesn't work," to please OPEN AND READ TOMORROW'S MESSAGE
* It will contain POWERFUL EVIDENCE that what you're doing through DownsizeDC.org is the MOST EFFECTIVE thing you CAN do.
Meanwhile . . .
Can you make the recent election meaningful by making the new Republican House majority do the right thing?
Remember the Republican's "Contract With America" from their other big landslide victory way back in 1994? Do you remember what became of that set of promises? ALMOST NOTHING! So . . .
Will this time be any different? Did the Big Vote and the Big Change from this year's electoral silly season really change anything, or did it just shift the deck chairs again? I promise you this . . .
The Republicans are very unlikely to do ANYTHING unless they feel HEAT -- FROM YOU! Otherwise they'll soon revert to business as usual. Like I said . . .
It's up to you, and anyone you can recruit to help you, to determine whether significant change actually happens. If you want to give true meaning to all the votes that were just cast, you can start here . . .
* The Republicans must keep their promise to repeal Obamacare.
* They can take the first step in the House, where they have a huge majority.
* They could do it on the first day of the 112th Congress (in January).
* The bill that repeals Obamacare could be remarkably short; just one sentence . . . "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2009 is hereby repealed."
It doesn't matter if the Senate follows suit, or if the President vetoes it. These are merely political excuses to avoid responsibility. What matters is that the House Republicans do what they NOW have the power to do, by taking the first step. They must pass a repeal measure in the House.
If you agree with this please send a letter to Congress using our NEW CAMPAIGN: "Repeal Obamacare."
Please recognize . . .
* It doesn't matter if your House Rep. is a Republican or a Democrat -- a lame duck or not. Every politician should hear what you want, including your Senators.
* Tell all of your elected representatives that you expect the Republicans to honor the people's will by doing everything they can to repeal Obamacare.
If you know friends who have spoken out against Obamacare, this is their chance to strike a real blow against it. Ask them to join you by sending a letter to Congress using our campaign.